Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is the process of creating content that is designed to rank highly in search results online for any particular topic. If you want to rank well for a search, SEO is the process you would implement. SEO has been around for a long time, almost as long as Google itself. So the question you need to ask is: Do you need SEO services for your site?
The answer is yes! As web developers, there are very few things that we say are a must have. But some level of SEO awareness is essential to getting your site seen by your potential customers. Without some sort of SEO your site might not rank at all on Google, even if you have great content that is relevant to your customers. Many people ignore SEO and are consequently throwing potentially tens of thousands of dollars away each year.
What do you Need to Know about SEO?
Search Engine Optimization is something that has a lot of intricate details to it. There are many facets that you will need to look at just to monitor the SEO health of a site. Some of these factors are:
- Proper Markup: Google looks for you to tell them what the content you create is about. They expect proper meta tags, headings, and keyword usage throughout the site. On top of this, you also need to make sure google can crawl your page or you won’t get indexed at all!
- Mobile-Friendly sites: Google will lower your page rank if your site isn’t mobile friendly from the start. They have put a big emphasis on responsive, mobile-friendly design and are rewarding sites that conform and punishing those that do not.
- Relevant Content: To rank well in any search engine, your content needs to be relevant to searches that people are performing. You might write a great article, but if no one is looking for it then you won’t get much traffic.
- Analytics and Search Console Setup: Google wants you to use their analytics platform and rewards you for doing so by prioritizing your content over similar content that does not use Google analytics or submit their sitemap.
- Quality is King: If your content is bad, your site is ugly, or the writing doesn’t answer the questions your readers ask, then over time Google may see people leaving your site quickly as an indication that they are not finding what they need. This can cause you to lose rank in search results over time.
There are other factors that are accounted for in SEO, but these are the major factors you can control. There are literally hundreds of things that go into SEO and just as many sites dedicated to the topic. Since there’s so much to know, it can be hard to try and tackle this alone. If you have the ability, Search Engine Optimization is a must for your site. If you don’t know where to begin, it’s often worth looking into having your site audited for general SEO health if nothing else.
What should I look for in SEO Services?
SEO Services range in what they offer and cost for any company. Simple SEO reporting may only cost a few hundred dollars for a small site. Larger companies may end up needing advanced reporting, content writing, and ongoing analytics tracking and can cost thousands of dollars monthly. If you’re looking into SEO services, it’s important that you find someone who can offer you a tailored solution. There is no “one size fits all” option when it comes to SEO. Some of the features you might need or want include:
- Site Health Auditing – Audits to assess problems with the site’s code and usability
- Site Speed Auditing/Optimization – Testing to see if your site is responding quickly
- General SEO Auditing – Seeing where you rank on Google already and identifying areas for improvement
- Content Writing – You’ll need to follow up your audits with some improvements, and content writing often is generally the next step
- Analytics Tracking and Metrics – Following your progress is important and tells you where to spend your time and money. Reputable companies should be able to provide you a monthly report with actionable items you can pursue.
If you need help figuring out what SEO services are right for you, give us a call! Torch Link offers a variety of services that are tailored to your needs so you don’t end up paying for things you don’t want. We can also offer consultation services if you need help finding out what sort of solution will be right for you, be it with us or any other company.